Gunfire and an explosion were heard near the interior ministry building in Kabul Wednesday, police and the ministry's spokesman said, days after the Taliban vowed to target government and military centres in the Afghan capital, AFP reported."We can confirm an explosion and gunfire at the first checkpoint of the interior ministry building".
Nicholson's remarks came hours after Afghan security guards foiled a suspected Taliban attack on the Interior Ministry in Kabul. The statement called it an "immersion attack" on the ministry in Kabul.
Some elements of the Taliban in Afghanistan are showing interest in peace talks, the top U.S. commander in Kabul said on Wednesday, citing "off stage" contacts involving what he described as mid- and high-level leaders of the insurgency. But, he noted, the Afghan forces responded as they should have on Wednesday.
The US military said the May 24 meeting in Helmand's district of Musa Qala involved commanders from a number of Afghan provinces, including Farah, where Taliban fighters this month briefly threatened to overrun the provincial capital.
Attacks increased after the Taliban announced their spring offensive on April 25 but the violence was still 10 to 12 percent lower, he said.
The Western-backed government in Kabul has been struggling to fend off the Taliban and other militant groups since the withdrawal of most North Atlantic Treaty Organisation troops in 2014.More news: Capitals favored over Knights in Game 3 of Stanley Cup Final
More news: Giuliani: No Trump Interview Without Informant Papers
More news: Andrew Lincoln reportedly leaving AMC's The Walking Dead in season 9
Also on May 30, officials said at least three Afghan police officers were killed after a group of suicide bombers attacked a police station in the eastern province of Logar.
The US commander in Afghanistan, Gen John Nicholson, said the talks also involved foreign governments and global organisations.
"The fighting is over, the attackers have all been killed by security forces between the first and second security perimeter", Kabul police chief Daud Amin said.
Nicholson said initial indications suggested Taliban and the Haqqani network were behind the attack, even though Islamic State claimed responsibility. He said all coalition troops had been accounted for after the attack. He said both bombers were identified, shot and killed by forces. It is unclear who carried out the attack, though the southern province is the Taliban's historic heartland.
A senior ministry official said one attacker blew himself up inside the compound and another was resisting from a watchtower as a plume of dust and smoke rose over the sprawling site.
Eight civilians were also wounded in the attack, Mr. Ahmadzai said.