Washington will also press ahead with restrictions on investment by Chinese companies in the United States as well as export controls for goods exported to China, the statement from the White House said.
The decision for the Trump administration to take action is a result of an investigation conducted by the U.S. Trade Representative under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 to determine whether Beijing's trade practices may be "unreasonable or discriminatory" and that may be "harming American intellectual property rights, innovation or technology development".
This includes products related to the "Made in China 2025" program.
But Beijing did not agree to any specific dollar amounts, despite the Trump administration's push to lower the USA trade deficit by at least $200 billion.
Commerce Secretary Ross is scheduled to visit Beijing from June 2 to June 4 to try and get China to agree to firm numbers for additional US exports to the country.
The White House said on Tuesday: "Discussions with China will continue on these topics, and the United States looks forward to resolving long-standing structural issues and expanding our exports by eliminating China's severe import restrictions".
The near collapse of Chinese telecommunications company ZTE after United States sanctions prevented it from purchasing USA microchips has in recent weeks hardened China's resolve to become self-sufficient in critical technologies, and has make it unlikely China will agree to abandon the Made in China 2025 program.More news: Moto G6 Now Available From Verizon for $240
More news: Sleeping in on the weekend can add years to your life
More news: Vegas Computer’s Score Prediction For Tonight’s Game 7
The moves come less than 10 days after Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said that the trade war with China was "on hold". China retaliated by imposing additional tariffs worth about United States dollars three billion on 128 U.S. products. It will announce the final list of covered imports by June 15, 2018, and the tariffs will be imposed shortly thereafter.
The White House repeated it will slap a hefty 25 per cent tariff on as much as $50bn worth of imports.
The Trump administration previously announced a list of Chinese products affected by the tariff primarily focused on electronics, aerospace and machinery products.
Fears of a trade war between the world's two biggest economies had also receded after US President Donald Trump's administration said it had reached a deal to reprieve ZTE after banning China's second-biggest telecoms equipment maker from buying US parts.
Trump's trade agenda - at least lately - has not been so easy. Republican Senator Marco Rubio and other lawmakers from both parties have criticized Trump's leniency toward ZTE, arguing that doing business with the company presents a risk to national security.
The deal to reduce China's trade surplus with the USA was separate from the US probe into China's alleged theft of intellectual property.