Gennady Golovkin defended his middleweight crown for the 20th time on Saturday night.
Golovkin ended the fight with a vicious series of right and left combinations that floored the heavy underdog Martirosyan, who appeared doomed from the outset of the hastily arranged fight at the StubHub Center.
It may not be what you originally intended on watching but with it being Martirosyan's return to the ring after two years away, this is sure to be a fight that you can not miss.
The rematch was cancelled because of Alvarez's two failed drug tests in February, followed by his suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on April 18. Even at 154 pounds, Martirosyan was not known as a huge puncher, rather he is a hard worker who is known to come forward.
"He's waiting for the opportunity and Saunders doesn't want to fight him". Martirosyan's right knee also touched the canvas before GGG delivered the final punch, which has disqualified fighters in the past, but it did not happen in this particular case.
Golovkin said he would take on all comers, including Alvarez.More news: Congress challenges rejection of Impeachment Move against CJI
More news: Elon Musk wants to get into the candy industry
More news: Shopian Gunfight: 5 militants as many civilians killed, say Police
Alvarez will return from his six-month suspension on August 17, which would make him eligible to fight GGG in September.
"That's the hardest puncher I've ever faced", Martirosyan said.
With the lucrative fight against Alvarez scuttled until later in the year, Golovkin was eventually able to put together a replacement bout in Southern California. Pre-fight hype? Not for Golovkin, "I understand my situation, this is not an easy fight, this is a huge fight for us".
Two rounds in and Golovkin already had the fight done and dusted.
As a result, Golovkin was forced to find an opponent on short notice and Martirosyan was the only one that a majority of the sanctioning bodies were willing to accept. "I've been the champion for nine years". Yet for his bout with Martirosyan, who will be buoyed by intense support from Los Angeles' Armenian community, he will receive an estimated $2 million and certainly no greater than $3 million, as the fight will be shown on regular HBO and not pay per view. All three judges saw Ceballo a shutout victor with 40-36 scorecards over Phan, who's 0-6-1 since beginning his career with three consecutive victories. The 36-year-old Golovkin had been due to battle Alvarez in Las Vegas this weekend, in what was likely to be one of the highlights of the 2018 boxing calendar.
It's safe to say that Golovkin is game. When "Canelo" comes back it is going to be under boxing's biggest spotlight and it behooves Golovkin to be in the ring against him.