South Korea and Japan announced the deal on December 28, 2015, under which they agreed to "finally and irreversibly" resolve the comfort women issue, while Tokyo apologized for its colonial-era atrocities and agreed to contribute 1 billion yen (US$8.9 million) to a foundation dedicated to supporting the victims.
"It can not be denied that the 2015 deal was an official agreement reached between the governments of each country, and our government will not demand renegotiation", Kang said at a press conference, as quoted by the Yonhap News Agency.
"President Moon Jae-in's apology for the secret deal by the dogmatic former Park Geun-hye administration and the foreign ministry's prompt measures are only for the victims and our citizens", Back Hye-ryun, the party's spokeswoman, said in a written press briefing. "It's an global and universal principle that such an accord should be implemented responsibly even after a change of government".
But some of the victims have called for South Korea to return the money to Japan, prompting Seoul's announcement that it will contribute the same amount of money and discuss with Tokyo what to do with the Japanese contribution already made.
But, this deal came under heavy criticism right from when it was signed two years ago, with some saying the specifics of the bilateral agreement stood flawed.More news: "Political pressure" reportedly kills Huawei/AT&T smartphone deal
More news: Blood Donations Go Uncollected Due To Winter Weather: American Red Cross
More news: Israeli PM backs Trump critique of Palestinian UN aid agency
In 2015, when there were 47, 36 accepted the settlement, a the official said. Some in South Korea have suggested putting it in a trust if Japan does not come to the table. "The ministry will urge Japan to take responsible measures toward this wrongful agreement based on the seriousness of the issue and universal principles of humanitarianism".
9 it will not seek renegotiation of the 2015 landmark agreement on the issue of former "comfort women", but expressed hope that Tokyo will make efforts to help restore the dignity of victims. Some call for renegotiating or even scrapping the deal.
A South Korean investigation appointed by the government concluded last month the dispute over the women could not be "fundamentally resolved" because the victims' demand for legal compensation had not been met.
The comfort women issue has been a regular cause for contention between Japan and neighbours China and North and South Korea since the war.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga also said several times on January 4 that the agreement "will not move an inch", and deplored South Korea for "moving the goal post every time". Abe is leaning toward declining an invitation to next month's Winter Olympics in South Korea, despite the potential for top-level talks between the countries.