The US earlier pressed for a full oil embargo on North Korea after it tested its most powerful nuclear bomb to date in September, but dropped that demand in negotiations on a sanctions resolution with China.
President Trump takes part in a welcoming ceremony with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing on November 9.
"The missile launched yesterday certainly was the most advanced one so far in all aspects, but the reentry technology has not yet been proven, and it is also uncertain whether the North has secured the technology to miniaturize nuclear warheads", he told the U.S. president, according to Cheong Wa Dae spokesman Park Soo-hyun.
In comparison with the other ICBM launches from North Korea, the response from President Donald Trump to the most recent one has been muted, and perhaps for good reason.
While doubts remain over the missile's actual ability to deliver a heavy nuclear warhead to distant targets in the US, North Korea carried out the launch with the speed and stealthiness that suggest a capability to pull off a real-world nuclear strike on the US.
Analysis of North Korea's latest missile launch reveals a bigger, better rocket that has been domestically built. On Thursday, a senior Trump administration official said the White House was considering a plan to replace Tillerson with Mike Pompeo, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency. "President Trump called President Xi this morning and told him that we've come to the point where China must cut off the oil for North Korea".More news: NY's Metropolitan Opera to investigate James Levine after sex abuse claim
More news: Twitter Reacts As David De Gea & Manchester United Frustrate Arsenal In Thriller
More news: FO condemns Yemen's second missile attack on Saudi Arabia
Russia's foreign minister has accused the US ambassador to the United Nations of a "bloodthirsty" stance on North Korea that could significantly worsen tensions. Joseph Dunford's office said in a statement to the AP.
German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said in Washington after meeting Tillerson on Thursday he had offered support for taking a tough line towards North Korea and that Germany was withdrawing a third diplomat from its embassy there.
The foreign ministry called on North Korea "to immediately stop the provocative tests using ballistic missile technologies and to abandon the ongoing missile and nuclear programme in a complete, verifiable and irreversible manner". It has said its weapons programs are a necessary defense against US plans to invade.
Trump's comments were followed by United Nations ambassador Nikki Haley saying the ballistic missile launch "brings us closer to war".
Experts and USA officials say questions remain about whether it has a re-entry vehicle capable of protecting a nuclear warhead as it speeds toward its target, and about the accuracy of its guidance systems.
North Korea fired a ballistic missile eastward from a site about 30 kilometers north of Pyongyang at around 3:17 am on November 29, according to the ministry.