New York City Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce has said that a 2010 rape allegation against Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein is "credible".
"Boardwalk Empire" actress Paz de la Huerta accused Weinstein of raping her twice at her NY apartment in late 2010.
De la Huerta, 33, told the magazine the first alleged rape happened in November 2010.
Then two months later, Weinstein showed up at her building and they went upstairs before he attacked her again, according to the actress.
Boyce's comments Friday offered a significant signal that Weinstein, whose public downfall helped spur the wave of other accusations, could face criminal charges.
Yet another actress has come forward to accuse disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault - and law enforcement sources confirmed to Deadline that the NYPD is investigating the case and has been in contact with the DA's office about it.More news: Meet Overwatch's new hero Moira
More news: Broadcom May Acquire Qualcomm In Biggest Chip Tie-Up Ever
More news: Long queues outside Apple stores ahead of iPhone X launch
"We have an actual case here", Boyce said.
Polanski left the United States for France in 1977 after he was charged with raping a 13-year-old girl. "The investigation is on-going", the NYPD said in a statement Thursday night. Either way, they need collaboration from Manhattan prosecutors, who put the brakes on a 2015 investigation into Weinstein.
De la Huerta's allegations are at least the third Weinstein case to have been investigated by NY police in recent years. She had been drinking and was not in a condition to give consent, CBS reported the actress said.
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they are victims of sexual assault unless they speak publicly, which de la Huerta and Guiterrez have done.
Weinstein, who was ousted from his own company amid the scandal, has repeatedly stated through a spokesman that "allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied".