McMaster sent a mixed message on Friday, insisting that the USA retained a "military option" in dealing with North Korea even while calling on "everyone to do everything we can to address the global problem short of war". "That is implementing now these significant sanctions that have just now gone into place. And at that point there is not a whole lot the security council is going to be able to do from here when you have cut 90% of the trade and 30% of the oil", she said.
He will also meet the leaders of France and Israel to discuss, amongst other issues, Iran and, as McMaster said, its "destabilizing behavior, including its violation of the sovereignty of nations across the Middle East". Afterward, in a statement, the council condemned the "highly provocative launch" and called on North Korea to reduce tensions on the peninsula.
Tillerson noted that China, which supplies North Korea with most of its oil, and Russian Federation, as the largest employer of North Korean forced labor, have a unique responsibility in the diplomatic situation. "China and Russian Federation must indicate their intolerance for these reckless missile launches by taking direct actions of their own", Tillerson demanded.
U.S. President Donald Trump has said that U.S. options to address the North Korean threat are both "effective and overwhelming".
China and Russian Federation have not leaped to accept Tillerson's demand as of yet.
"I believe it will further North Korea's isolation - diplomatic and economic isolation - because more and more nations are realising there's simply no collaboration with the worldwide community". That plan seeks to set the stage for a resumption of talks after Pyongyang suspends its nuclear and ballistic missile activity and the USA and South Korea suspend their joint military exercises.More news: Foxconn praises Wisconsin passage of bill
More news: Oracle Corporation (ORCL) - Jefferies Maintains Rating And Raises Price Target
More news: Explosion onboard a London tube train being treated as terrorist incident
On Friday, the U.N. Security Council condemned North Korea's "highly provocative" test of an intermediate-range missile, which hurtled over US ally Japan into the northern Pacific Ocean.
UPDATE (8:02PM): (AP) -U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has called the latest missile launch a reckless act by the North Koreans.
Still, a reporter noted North Korea's behavior isn't really changing. Now, however, with North Korea perilously close to being able to directly threaten U.S. cities with nuclear obliteration, the worry for some is that Pyongyang could blackmail Washington into qualifying or limiting its support for its allies in the region.
Addressing several hundred air force personnel after reviewing some of America's most high-tech fighters jets and bombers, Trump warned that Pyongyang had "once again shown its utter contempt for its neighbors and for the entire world community".
North Korea said earlier this month it was developing a hydrogen bomb that could carry out an EMP attack. "We must make North Korea understand this", Abe said.