Doval is also expected to hold talks with China's State Councillor Yang Jiechi to break the deadlock.
Besides Doval and Yang, Minister of State Security David Mahlobo of South Africa, Minister Sergio Etchegoyen of the Office of Institutional Security of the Presidency of Brazil, Security Council Secretary Nikolai Patrushev of the Russian Federation will also attend the NSAs meeting.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry, in a brief read-out on the meeting, said Yang "elaborated China's position on bilateral issues and major problems", which is being seen as an apparent reference to the standoff in the Doklam area.
The NSA meet, where the five-nation bloc traditionally discusses counterterrorism and security issues, assumes significance in view of the dragging border row between India and China.
His visit has raised expectations about the likelihood of India and China finding a solution to the over a month-long standoff at Doka La area in the Sikkim sector.
India on June 30 told China that its attempt to construct a road in the Doklam area in Bhutan will cause a "significant change of status quo", is a "violation of a 2012 understanding", and will lead to "serious security implications". India vehemently protested the construction, fearing it would allow China to cut India's access to its northeastern states.More news: Under pressure, Trump turns attention back to Clinton
More news: Samsung Electronics' record earnings see it overtake Apple
More news: Abu Dhabi's Man City break yet another transfer world record
His comment came even as Beijing indicated that India must withdraw its troops from Doklam Plateau in western Bhutan if it wanted to have "meaningful dialogue" with China.
In a press conference, local Foreign Ministry spokesman Gopal Baglay recalled that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping had agreed in a parallel meeting to the event, the aforementioned year, to strengthen the links between both countries. In April, a top Indian official accompanied the Dalai Lama to the border of Tibet, shrugging off China's public insistence that the journey be halted.
Wang said that some patriotic Chinese netizens might have made fierce remarks, including solving the issue via military means. "In other words, (the) Indian side admitted (crossing) into Chinese territory".
Last week, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj told Parliament that both sides should first pull back their troops for any talks to take place, favouring a peaceful resolution of the border standoff.
"The recent border issue between the two countries shows a lack of strategic trust on the Indian side", Xinhua said.