Home » Arts & Entertainment, News, Old time radio (OTR)

‘Lum and Abner’ headed to Mena

By: 19 July 2011 10 Comments

Here’s something that’s got us at First Arkansas News happy as can be — the Mena Star has agreed to run our Lum and Abner comic strips every week.

We see that as a pretty major development for a number of reasons. First of all, it’s great that Lum and Abner fans in that part of the state can pick up the comic strip in print. Second, we’re negotiating to add the strip to other papers, but were really interested in having a presence in Mena — Lum and Abner developers Chet Lauck and Norris “Tuffy” Goff are from there, after all, so it makes sense to have those characters in print over there.

We know a lot of First Arkansas News readers and Lum and Abner fans requested that the strip appear in the Mena Star, so we thank them for our efforts. Naturally, we’re thrilled that the good people at the Star have agreed to run the strip.

We hope to announce the inclusion of the comic strip in other newspapers in the near future. Stay tuned!

• Donnie Pitchford said:

I would like to add my “thankee” to that of Ethan Nobles to our friends in the Mena, Arkansas area! It’s going to be an honor to have our strip published in “The Mena Star!”

• J D Weeks said:

Congratulations to all, the ball is rolling!

• Brian said:

Great news! Congratulations!

Hope we can get into the Thomasville (GA) Times-Enterprise.

• Donnie Pitchford said:

Yes, these are exciting times. The way it happened in Mena is enough citizens got interested and contacted the editor and publisher and made it happen. I encourage everyone reading to do this if you want to have the strip printed in your local paper. The editors/publishers can contact Ethan C. Nobles here at FirstArkansasNews.net and discuss the fee. Thanks again – everyone!

• Kenneth Smith said:

Back where it all started so many years ago!!! As an avid Lum and Abner fan I would like to thank the Mena Star and Ethan Nobles. Donnie is a wonderful talent and you will not be dissapinted as the old fellows would say. Thanks again and long live Lum and Abner!

It is certainly good news. I do hope this is the first of many papers that will pick up the strip.

Now, everyone get all wacky and celebrate with a snazzy Lum and Abner tee!

• Lum and Abner Museum said:

Congrats Donnie and Ethan!!! Donnie and I have been swapping plot ideas, based on “What’s going on down in Pine Ridge”, mixing just a tiny bit of the present with a lot of the past. Dick Huddleston’s daughter used to do the same with Chet and Tuffy, so something old is new again.
    Kathy Stucker – Lum and Abner Museum

• Donnie Pitchford said:

Bob Burchett is preparing an article about Lum and Abner for the “Old Radio Times” magazine. This is available online as a publication of the Old Time Radio Researchers Group. I encourage you to visit them at http://www.otrr.org and I am certain you will be very pleased. This is an all-volunteer, nonprofit group, and their work is incredible! The pages I saw from the upcoming issue feature some fascinating articles (in addition to the Lum and Abner content). You can sign up for free copies of their amazing “Old Radio Times” very easily. Please give them a visit!

• Emon said:

Aww thanks Marcie! I loved every mtunie of being pregnant. Well not every mtuniee2€a6but I cane2€™t understand when women say they hated pregnancy!I didne2€™t have the easiest pregnancy the first time and delivery was horrific, but I loved it. I miss those little flutters that turn into full body rolls and the break dancing in the middle of the night!Glad to hear youe2€™re enjoying the 2nd trimester! My favorite was from 20 week to about 30 weeks.