Home » Crime, News

‘Heroic’ Rogers mailman arrested on drug charges

By: 2 April 2011 7 Comments

James Dupont mugshot courtesy of Benton County Jail.

James Dupont, the Rogers mailman who was recognized for pulling three people out of a burning car and saving their lives in June, was arrested on Friday on two drug related charges.

Dupont, of Cassville, Mo., is a member of the National Association of Letter Carriers (NALCS) Branch 1514 in Rogers, Ark. That union is part of the AFL-CIO, which named him National Hero of the Year in a Washington, D.C., ceremony in October for his bravery.

An anonymous source who requested anonymity confirmed that Dupont is the same man who was arrested on Friday and is being held in the Benton County Jail on two pending charges — possession of drug paraphernalia and possession with intent to deliver a counterfeit substance. Click here to see Dupont’s inmate record at the Benton County Jail.

What did Dupont do? Frankly, we at First Arkansas News aren’t entirely sure and have related all the facts we have at this time. We’ve left a message with the Benton County Sheriff’s office and hope to soon find out more. We’ll post the details as soon as we get them.

• itsme1975 said:

Does anyone have any info or comments on this matter? I was looking for the publics responce….

• JB said:

What they are trying to keep quite is the fact he was on duty as a mailman when he was busted. Mail carriers are one of those jobs that the public expect they can trust their children to ask for help if needed and this one was selling drugs. The fact they are paid $20 plus and hour makes you wonder what he was thinking…….

JB — Good points. What the heck was the guy thinking?

• AH said:

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty!! JB were you there? Did you see what went down!!?? NO I THINK NOT!! So why don’t you shut your mouth!! That is exactly what is wrong with our society today, is people like you, you hear about this story, make up your own assumption before you know all the facts and really what went down!! Unless you know really what happened or you were there, keep your comments to yourself! Mr. Dupont is a very good man and upstanding citizen!

• JB said:

I don’t think I’ll keep my comments to myself. I know enough about this case to make my assumption. You just made yours assuming I just read the story and that’s what I based my on. Considering what I wrote you might want to re-read the article that was written. No where was it mentioned that Mr. Dupont was on duty.

Whether you like it or not, this is a job where public perception is everything. Mail carriers are trusted to deliver and carry the mail. The fact that he was honored for heroics means the public is going to expect more from him. Getting arrested for any reason puts doubt about carriers in the public minds. The post office has enough problems without their customers having to worry about who is delivering their mail. I’m sure you wouldn’t want a suspected felon delivering to your loved ones. Unfortunately that is what he is now, a suspected felon.

• beentheredeliveredthat said:

HE WAS ON DUTY ! ! IT WAS METH !! Mr. Dupont was dealing out of his mail truck. THIS IS A FACT. The incident went down at a Rogers apt. complex around 230pm. They knew enough to bring dogs to search his truck. Yes he did a great thing by saving those 3 people but that does not give him a free pass on dealing meth while on the job. What if he sold to your children….or ran one of them over from lack of sleep?!

• Wilhelmina said:

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as
    I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?
    My blog is in the very same area of interest as yours and my
    users would definitely benefit from some of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you. Regards!