Week in Review — Feb. 28 through March 5
We reported on a slew of things here at First Arkansas News last week.
It would be a downright shame if some people missed some of the stories around here last week. Indeed, we covered everything form UA Basketball Coach John Pelphrey coming under fire to thuggery in downtown Little Rock to a Bella Vista resident winning the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes.
We want to make things convenient for our readers so — as usual — we’re linking to all of the articles over the past week in the post so that people can read what they’ve missed. By the way, we do make it easy for people to keep up with the latest posts here — click the appropriate link to subscribe to our RSS feed, follow us on Twitter, keep track of us through Facebook or get daily, free email updates.
At any rate, here are the stories from the past week:
* Bella Vistan wins Publishers Clearing House prize. Karen Anderson wins the sweepstakes. Good for her!
* Arkansans experience a bit of shake, rattle and roll. Earthquakes in Faulkner County.
* Hooliganism in downtown Little Rock. She was robbed!
* OTR Serials section updated. Some bad quality MP3 files mean we had to pull Lum and Abner (ouch) and Little Orphan Annie. We added the Blue Beetle, however, and life goes on…
* ESPN analyst speculates on Pelphrey’s future. Doug Gottlieb says Razorbacks Basketball Coach John Pelphrey is gone after this season and will be replaced by former assistant Mike Anderson. Is Gottlieb right? I guess we’ll have to wait and see, won’t we.
Now, it’s worth mentioning that Pelphrey is in his fourth season and has a lot of fans angry with him. Meanwhile, former Razorbacks Football Coach Houston Nutt was here for nine seasons. He started to stink like an old shoe in 2000 (remember that humiliating loss to UNLV in the Las Vegas Bowl) and managed to hang around through the 2007 season. That’s right — we kept an awful football coach for nine seasons and are mad at Pelphrey after only four. Double standard, anyone?
* Arkansas Legislature considering real estate legislation, illegal immigration. It’s a legislative year, meaning Arkansans are worried about what the government might do to us this year. In addition to the aforementioned link, you can read about mold inspector licensing requirements and a the regulation of broker price opinions.
* FLW returns to Beaver Lake. Northwest Arkansas gets back a major fishing tournament.
* Zillow for your iPhone. Looking for the best iPhone apps? Here’s a great one that’s free.
* Making the case for buying a home. Is now really a great time to buy a house?
* X-Minus 1. Old time radio and nuclear fear? Heck yes!
Benton resident. Rogue journalist. Recovering attorney. Email = Ethan@FirstArkansasNews.net.