The week in review (12/27 – 1/2)
The bad news is the holidays have ended. The good news is that you now have time to catch up on all those things you missed while the holidays were in full swing. Miss a story or two on First Arkansas News? We’ve got you covered.
We had a little bit of everything this week ranging from a discussion of the Linux operating system to a bird mystery in Beebe to one more plea for a college football playoffs system to accurately determine which team is the best in the nation. We also talked about some of the milestones we crossed in 2010 and look forward a bit to 2011. So, get ready to click some links and check out the following set of stories:
* Atari called it a Jaguar, but it was still a dog — an overview of the one video game console I owned that actually made me angry. When this system died, so did Atari. That was too bad, of course, but the console was still awful.
* Linux for the rest of us? Linux has come a long way over the past decade. Is Linux is free, well supported, easy to install and surprisingly easy to use. Is it the operating system to get you over those Windows blues?
* Greg Bell — old time radio preservationist and all around good guy. Bell hosts both When Radio Was and Radio Classics and on the Sirius and XM satellite radio networks. He granted First Arkansas News an interview and, hopefully, we took full advantage of the opportunity.
* Three killed in New Year’s Eve tornado — tragedy in Washington County.
* Chris Ledbetter — a man on a mission (literally). A 25-year-old Benton man is putting his life on hold for 11 months to go on a mission trip in 11 countries.
* Thanks for a great 2010; 2011 should be even better — First Arkansas News has only been around since April, but we’ve managed to get a staggering number of unique visits in 2010 and look forward to a great 2011. Again, we’d like to send a big “thank you” to our visitors.
* We wrapped up the Holiday OTR series for a bit. Yes, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s are just a bit more fun when you’re celebrating with some great old time radio shows. We didn’t posted plenty of those great old shows, as is our custom whenever a holiday is near. Check out what you missed and get ready for more fantastic entertainment during holidays throughout 2011 (the next one up, of course, is Valentine’s Day).
* Ready for a college football playoff yet? Yes, sports fans start howling for a playoff system about this time every year. We’ve simply added to all of that clamoring. Why? Because such a system just makes sense.
* Foreclosure mess to be straightened out in 2011? Foreclosure problems dominated the headlines last year and that won’t change anytime soon. Will the foreclosure mess get cleaned up this year? We’ll have to wait and see.
* Working to solve Beebe’s New Year’s Eve bird mystery. Strange. Just strange.
Benton resident. Rogue journalist. Recovering attorney. Email = Ethan@FirstArkansasNews.net.