Doggie Don’ts: Hold the Xylitol
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals studied eight dogs who had liver failure and other problems.
They all ingested products containing Xylitol, a sugar alcohol used to sweeten foods, candy, gum and beverages.
The ASPCA study’s dogs from 2003 through 2005 included:
• A four-year-old male Welsh springer spaniel who ate four large chocolate-frosted muffins.
• A three-year-old male standard poodle who ate five or six cookies.
• A five-year-old female Scottish terrier who ate 30 pieces of gum.
• A six-year-old female Labrador retriever who ate 450 grams of Xylitol powder.
• A seven-year-old female miniature dachsund who ate 100 pieces of gum.
• A four-year-old female Australian shepherd who ate 12 cupcakes.
• An eight-year-old female Labrador retriever who ate 140 grams of Xylitol powder.
• A six-year-old female Dalmatian who ate eight muffins.
Five of the eight dogs died or were euthanized because of liver failure.
Lana F. Flowers is a gifted Arkansas reporter who can handle news about Walmart and retail, movie and book reviews, human interest stories, features and anything else you'd care to mention. She lives in Rogers, Ark., with her husband Jesse, daughter Layla, cats Lottie Boots and Emmy, and dog Fuzzy. Send an email -- firstname.lastname@example.org